1936 MGNB Supercharged Race Car
Restored and Sold
The 1936 MG NB is the last of the true racing MGs that were derived from the K-3 Grand Prix and Mille Miglia winning cars. Only ninety-eight NB Roadsters were built. Later, it was raced on dirt tracks in Pennsylvania by Benjamin Franklin III.
The NB was then brought to California and raced by Lars Jacobson. Lars installed Bendix hydraulic airplane brakes on the front wheels – replacing the cable brakes. The rear brakes remained cable. The swept wing front fenders were removed along with the running boards and frame rails. They were replaced with fiberglass cycle fenders.
The engine is supercharged with a 1 7/8 SU carburetor. The Marshall Drew supercharger is belt-driven. It has been bored out and sleeved to 1454cc, 6 cylinders, overhead cam, gear driven by the dynamo, carillo fly cut rods, billet crank, aries pistons, solid copper head gasket.
The 16-inch diameter rear wire wheels replaced the 19’s in the rear and 15 inch diameter wire wheels were placed in front. It has a Wilson Preselector Transmission and a built in fire suppression system. The NB design is noted by the long chrome hinges on the doors that are curved to match the bodyline.
The doors are hinged on the front of the door making these doors the only non- suicide doors on an MG from 1930 to 1955. The gas tank is also inside the body creating a beautiful curve to the rear matched by the rear fender.
This car is fully instrumented with an array of gauges, lights and switches that create an amazing dashboard.
In the 1950’s this car was raced frequently on the west coast at Pebble Beach, Torrey Pines, Palm Springs, Willow Springs, Santa Barbara and many other tracks. It took 1st Place in the 1955 Agoura Hills, 1st at Costa Mesa, and 1st at Sandberg Hill. It also had a 3rd Place at Santa Ana and 3rd Place in the San Fernando Drag Races.
Don Martine has raced the NB at Watkins Glen, Elkhart Lake, Coronado, Laguna Seca and Hallett. It also has been driven by Bill Pollack at Watkins Glen, Al Moss at Hallett and Mike Jacobson at Coronado. The 1936 MG NB’s most recent restoration was completed in 2004.
This car was sold to a new owner in Conneticut in 2014.